On February 11, 2014, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) approved a Texas State Plan Amendment (SPA) that will allow optometrists to qualify as an eligible professional (EP) for purposes of participating in the Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program. Key points to understand this change include:
- The Texas Medicaid EHR Incentive Program portal, MI360, will be open to optometrists beginning February 24, 2014.
- Optometrists who meet program eligibility requirements may receive up to $63,750 over 6 years for the successful adoption, implementation, upgrade and meaningful use of certified EHR technology.
- EPs, including optometrists, must be fully enrolled Medicaid providers, demonstrate a minimum of 30% Medicaid patient volume and meet other requirements.
In order to participate in the EHR Incentive Program, optometrists must register with CMS at https://ehrincentives.cms.gov/hitech/ . Once registered, each provider must individually attest to meeting the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program requirements by logging in to his/her provider account at www.tmhp.com and following the links to the EHR Incentive Program.
Optometrists and other providers who attest prior to March 16, 2014, may choose to participate in either Program Year 2013 or 2014. Providers who wish to receive an incentive payment for Program Year 2013 must complete their attestation and be in “payment pending” status by March 16, 2014. After this deadline, providers may only attest to Program Year 2014. Additional information on the necessary steps for attestation can be found in the links below.
Additional Resources – Texas Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
* Learn about program rules and steps by using the self-paced e-learning module at: www.texasehrincentives.com.
* Visit the Texas Medicaid Health IT website for updates on the EHR Incentive Program and other health IT initiatives.
* For more information about MU documentation or other program questions, contact: email@example.com or call 1-855-831-6112.